quattroworld.com Forums: They are likely brokering out an SB100. Only 500 offered per year state wide...

quattroworld

4000 + Coupe GT
All messages | Search Forums | Return to 4000 + Coupe GT
They are likely brokering out an SB100. Only 500 offered per year state wide...
Posted by: Pre95 (1154) on 2018-03-27 12:01:11
In Reply to: I know of a few of those cars here in the Bay Area. one is being built right now posted by onlyaudis on 2018-03-27 11:25:36

Share | Report
SB100 allows registration and titling of "Special Built" vehicles (replicas, dune buggies, etc) based on the period they were constructed to emulate.

That is, if you build a period correct(ish) 1967 Ford GT40, you can get it titled in California AS a 1967 "Special Build" GT40. There are specific build requirements, i.e. the car needs to look correct-enough.. close-enough.. the list is fairly vague.

No smog as a "1967". Can we continue to talk about how scammy and scummy CARB smog is? LOL

Unfortunately for joe schmo, because the state only offers 500 SB100 registrations per calendar year, generally the first day the DMV is open on the new year is swarmed by brokers who do this type of registration for clients at a cost. The know someone at the DMV who has processed these before, they know all of the i's to dot and T's to cross, and generally can bang out 10-15 registrations at one window with whomever they know behind the counter before the 500 are gone state wide. I have heard horror stories of regular folks getting to the DMV hours ahead of opening, trying to SB100 a car with everything done perfectly on their end, but the DMV clerk didn't know how to process... something as little as 15 mins of delays and all sold out.

Long story short, it's better to purchase a replicar already titled with an SB100 then to try to pull it off yourself. One missed SB100 sale puts your car in to storage for another year. This also speaks for why some replica cars pull BIG CASH and others built from the same kit don't. I could blab for hours about the scam riddled swiss cheese of a system California has in place for smog. Don't even get me started on the guys with dealer plates on their personal collections........
Thread:
post follow up

You must be registered and logged in to post. Please select an option:

Login with existing account
Create a new account

All messages | Search Forums | Return to 4000 + Coupe GT