quattroworld.com Forums: This is the reason I never bought one, even though I love the V8S4. Audi basically put

quattroworld

B6 A4 (2002 - 2005)
All messages | Search Forums | Return to B6 A4 (2002 - 2005)
This is the reason I never bought one, even though I love the V8S4. Audi basically put
Posted by: auditlc (7315) on 2015-01-01 14:12:25
In Reply to: O/T: Looks like the B6/B7 S4 make awful used cars... posted by A4orce84 on 2014-12-31 14:40:52

Share | Report
a exotic car service interval and requirements on a daily driver sedan. In all honesty, there is no excuse for the guide failure. With the engine flipped, Audi should have bucked up for upgraded guides so it actually is a "lifetime" part.

The fact is one of the attractive pulls of a non-aspirated V8 is simplicity. That's why the LSX motors and muscle cars are popular, and Toyota, GM and others can make pushrod motors that last forever and are easy to rebuild.

Audi's V8, has the time and expense requirements of a twin turbo V12 or no better than the 2.7TT.
It's also an incredibly thirsty motor. For the mpg's on a compact sedan, I would expect even more power.

I love that V8 S4 setup, and the size is perfect. Even the new S4, now that it's bigger, is not as attractive a proposition.

HOWEVER, I think as prices drop, it becomes more attractive to DIY guys that are factoring in the cost of new guides and pulling the motor. There will be a few die hard Audi guys that will enjoy the V8, but it's not a fun, diy motor like the LSx or other V8's you could play with are.

So, if you look at V8 sedans you could play with for the same money... I think the starting cost and time are painful on the S4.

Still love the pkg but wish Audi cared a little more about their long term reputation.
Thread:
post follow up

You must be registered and logged in to post. Please select an option:

Login with existing account
Create a new account

All messages | Search Forums | Return to B6 A4 (2002 - 2005)