quattroworld.com Forums: vibration from the rear end 70 to 75mph

quattroworld

C5 A6/S6 (1998 - 2004)
All messages | Search Forums | Return to C5 A6/S6 (1998 - 2004)
vibration from the rear end 70 to 75mph
Posted by: UberVier (50) on 2016-03-05 23:58:08

Share | Report
In the quest to smooth out the driveline, I checked all rubber bits from trans to rear diff. The most slop was in the center support bushing, it was cracked and starting to separate from the surrounding metal mount. So I applied the 3M Window Weld sparingly and it got rid of a small bit of sloppy feel, but has done little in the way of eliminating the vibration I feel through the seat, worst from 70-75mph.

So I used my Polaroid Cube magnetic HD camera, affixed it under the car to get a shot of the rear diff. Man, that thing really shifts around! The front most mount for the diff gets smashed all sorts of ways during accel and decel. But sure enough, at 70-75, I could see very clearly it wobble/shake much more than at slower speeds.

2 questions: I replaced the fluid a while back, but I totally forgot what I put in. It was either Mobil1, Valvoline, or RedLine, 75-90 as spec'd. I don't think changing it again would help...would it? Lastly, would it be wise to replace all the rubber bushings out back? I can only see 3- one on the side of the diff, 2 on the back.
Thread:
post follow up

You must be registered and logged in to post. Please select an option:

Login with existing account
Create a new account

All messages | Search Forums | Return to C5 A6/S6 (1998 - 2004)