quattroworld

D2 A8/S8 (1997 - 2003)
All messages | Search Forums | Return to D2 A8/S8 (1997 - 2003)
About to dig into my brakes again... and suspension?
Posted by: hyperlogos (20841) on 2017-09-27 21:53:07

Share | Report
I have the brakes from the 1998, except for a rear caliper I replaced on the 1997 which was also bad on the 1998, I brought it over. All stock PFL sliding mini-brakes. Nice fresh pads and rotors all around. Parking brake works great.

I'm having a problem where the right front wheel wobbles and/or hops during braking. It seems to happen after it's heated up. All my suspension parts are new but some of them are Chinese, not the track links though. Those are fresh TRWs. My plan is to swap the shocks and springs from the 1997, but its shock mount bushings are cracking so I need to swap those from the 1998 in the process. I have cheap but functional spring compressors (Harbor Freight) and an 18mm spark plug socket which can be used to take them apart.

But on my last trip out, on the way back over the hopland grade, my brakes decided to just barely work. It didn't feel like servo failure; it actually felt harder to press the brake pedal than it does when the vehicle is off. The brakes still worked, kind of. I downshifted and didn't crash (or die) and came home slowly.

Which parts are likeliest bad? I plan to change the RF caliper while I'm in there changing the RF shock. Is it worth it to do the guide link (rear lower link) bushing? I have a press. Nothing feels loose, all the ball joints and bushings are good and tight.
Thread:
post follow up

You must be registered and logged in to post. Please select an option:

Login with existing account
Create a new account

All messages | Search Forums | Return to D2 A8/S8 (1997 - 2003)