quattroworld

D2 A8/S8 (1997 - 2003)
All messages | Search Forums | Return to D2 A8/S8 (1997 - 2003)
I'd guess the cross-tank connection.
Posted by: hyperlogos (20841) on 2017-10-31 18:11:56
In Reply to: Probably the fuel pump or the connection between the pump and the scavenge pumps. posted by JFrahm on 2017-10-31 17:31:00

Share | Report
I think the easiest thing to do if it happens is a current test. Instead of testing at the fuel pump connection, you could pull the fuel pump fuse (passenger kick panel, carrier ST4, fuse 1 - fourth carrier down, rearmost) and supply power to its bottom terminal directly from the 60A fuse at the top of the fuse panel. The pump should draw 8 amps when pumping fuel, or only 4 amps if it's sucking air.

I don't know about yours, but my meter has a 10A ammeter mode which would let me do this on the side of the road if I set up a jumper wire to get from my meter into the fuse block ahead of time. Then you can press the other lead of the meter into the exposed contact of the 60A fuse while you turn the key. 8A means your problem is after the fuel pump (bad line, clogged filter, fuel pressure regulator, ignition/injection system) while 4A means your problem is probably that cross-tank line and 0A means your problem is with the pump, relay, or a wiring connection.
Thread:
post follow up

You must be registered and logged in to post. Please select an option:

Login with existing account
Create a new account

All messages | Search Forums | Return to D2 A8/S8 (1997 - 2003)