quattroworld

D2 A8/S8 (1997 - 2003)
All messages | Search Forums | Return to D2 A8/S8 (1997 - 2003)
Since the fuel pump wears out it's good to replace unless you are sure it's been replaced before...
Posted by: JFrahm (4193) on 2017-11-01 12:06:21
In Reply to: I am in Thailand so my access to parts is more difficult ;) posted by Mortem76 on 2017-11-01 11:36:38

Share | Report
I have heard of bad fuel pump installations that caused problems with the scavenge pumps (poor sealing of the pump assembly to the tank-side coupling) but I do not think I have ever heard of that happening with a factory pump.

If the problem comes and goes it's much more likely the pump is jamming/dying or you have an electrical problem rather than some sort of intermittent in-tank issue that is blocking the fuel flow.

If you want to goof with it, make a rig to connect a headlight bulb or something to the fuel pump connector, go drive until it poops out, hook up this test lamp in place of the pump and see if it'll light up when you crank the car.

The lamp needs to be something like a 35 watt headlight or auxiliary light to be sure you have enough current back there to drive the pump. Make the wires long enough so you can see the lamp from the driver's seat.

If the test lamp shows you have good current to the pump, try reversing the power to the pump for a second to unjam it and see if you can get home without a flatbed. Adding fuel might unjam it also.
Thread:
post follow up

You must be registered and logged in to post. Please select an option:

Login with existing account
Create a new account

All messages | Search Forums | Return to D2 A8/S8 (1997 - 2003)