D2 A8/S8 (1997 - 2003)
All messages | Search Forums | Return to D2 A8/S8 (1997 - 2003)
About to refresh front and rear suspension. Few questions for those who have done it.
Posted by: semso55 (106058) on 2017-12-15 15:16:51

Share | Report
I finally realize it's simply foolish to sell such a rare and great car and I'll be refreshing my original suspension this winter.
It's worth mentioning that I have quite a bit of experience replacing complete suspensions on my BMW's but I'm aware I can benefit greatly from this forum knowledge.
I have 138k miles and everything is original other than tie rods. 2 front upper arms on the top of the front suspension have partially cracked rubber bushings and there is some minor cracking on other bushings.
Rear suspension is in better condition with almost no bushing cracking.
Main reason for refresh is to replace struts / shocks which are little tired.
I'm well aware that I could put more miles as it is but I know the will benefit from new components greatly:
I have purchased front Bilsteins HD with Lemforder mounts and every single front Lemforder suspension component (10 in total)
I will also replace both front CV joint seals since they're leaking (although not bad)
For rear I also have Bilstein HD with 2 control arms that shock attaches to.
The goal is to replace the necessary parts to avoid removing struts / shocks again and redoing alignments.
Few questions:
I can purchase all 4 OEM rear spring pads for $70, I usualy replace those on BMW's and I imagine it's not bad idea on S8?
Both front outside CV joint boots have been replaced by PO but not the inner ones. They're relatively cheap and replacing them now would negate huge labor effort later?
Anything else to replace?
post follow up

You must be registered and logged in to post. Please select an option:

Login with existing account
Create a new account

All messages | Search Forums | Return to D2 A8/S8 (1997 - 2003)