quattroworld

D2 A8/S8 (1997 - 2003)
All messages | Search Forums | Return to D2 A8/S8 (1997 - 2003)
Haha unclogging evap drains is trivial -- without poking or air
Posted by: hyperlogos (20841) on 2018-01-06 23:48:24

Share | Report
Trying to poke them is dumb, because they are actually stupidly easy to get back into place. The job was built up in the FAQs like it was a PITA to get them back in, but it took me all of five seconds per side. There is plenty of room to get even my fat fingers into the hole in the insulation.

I tried it on the parts car first, so I just did it three times. Yoink out the drains, stuff the big end into the hose bib and blow water through them while pinching the cross end to clean them out. Then go stuff 'em back into place. If you do it wrong you will get crap blowing back up through the hole, so do it right. It's super obvious when they are seated correctly, from the feel. Feel them before pulling them out so you know.

If your drains are old and crusty and break coming out, I have two spares :D But they aren't on my 1997 which is COOKED, all the wiring connector boots that are supposed to be soft... aren't. But the drains are still totally soft and pliable.

While you have them out, you can marvel at how garbage the design is. Seriously.
Thread:
post follow up

You must be registered and logged in to post. Please select an option:

Login with existing account
Create a new account

All messages | Search Forums | Return to D2 A8/S8 (1997 - 2003)