quattroworld

D2 A8/S8 (1997 - 2003)
All messages | Search Forums | Return to D2 A8/S8 (1997 - 2003)
Does Audi D2 uses buffered coolant temp gauge such as found on some BMW's?
Posted by: semso55 (106058) on 2018-01-27 13:10:27

Share | Report
What I mean by it is that E39 BMW will show needle in the middle of gauge from 75 C all the way to 110 C.
I personally find that stupid but my understanding is that BMW got tired of people complaining about the temp while not understanding that some variation are completely normal due to engine load, ambient temp etc...

The problem with that particular "genius" idea is that when something is wrong there isn't much time or warning before your needle is in "oh crap" field.
Anyway, mine gets relatively quickly to normal temp (third line from cold) and it stays there no matter what which I found little suspicious.

On the other hand S8 uses 82 C thermostat (if I'm correct) and that's way lower than ridiculous 105 C found on some E39 BMW models.

Of course, BMW is bashfully saying high operating temps is great for fuel economy and clean emissions but forgets to mention that high temp = high pressure and E39 cooling system is all plastic. You do the math.
So, if my assumption is true I was wondering if there is some info going into detail.
Thanks in advance.
Thread:
post follow up

You must be registered and logged in to post. Please select an option:

Login with existing account
Create a new account

All messages | Search Forums | Return to D2 A8/S8 (1997 - 2003)