D2 A8/S8 (1997 - 2003)
All messages | Search Forums | Return to D2 A8/S8 (1997 - 2003)
RNS-E is a good way to go
Posted by: Riceroni_28 (103385) on 2018-02-28 17:44:12
In Reply to: Looking for Recommendations: Stereo Head Unit posted by JohnnyK on 2018-02-28 14:30:23

Share | Report
I recently installed an RNS-E head into my `01 S8, and I'm a big fan! It's an Audi head so it retains OEM look/functionality/etc. and it integrates nav as well. I think you lose steering wheel-mounted volume control function, but it can still relay all the usual info to the dash in my experience. Furthermore, you can get both OEM and aftermarket Bluetooth and aux units for this item.

I use an aftermarket Bluetooth that replaces the CD changer and it works well but it thinks I'm listening to an infinitely long track 1 on a cd... if you want full integration an OEM Bluetooth accessory is the way to go. Overall the RNS-E really fits the car nicely and seems to me to be a nice upgrade (the Sym I head from the 01's is the same I had in my 01 A4 so I thought it cheapened the look).

FWIW, the aftermarket Bluetooth adapter I mentioned will easily fit the Sym I head that you (likely) have in your car... it'll show CD01 TR01 on the screen and that's it, and is activated by selecting "CDC" (cd changer) on the head... this is a much more cost-effective solution as the RNS-E can be expensive.
post follow up

You must be registered and logged in to post. Please select an option:

Login with existing account
Create a new account

All messages | Search Forums | Return to D2 A8/S8 (1997 - 2003)