D2 A8/S8 (1997 - 2003)
All messages | Search Forums | Return to D2 A8/S8 (1997 - 2003)
Posting the info from an AW thread on the VB job inside
Posted by: JFrahm (4193) on 2018-03-10 15:06:37
In Reply to: Last I looked the casting was $250, it's down to $186 so I am buying one. posted by JFrahm on 2018-03-10 14:59:24

Share | Report
this is from an AW thread
...My A8 got the valve at 165K and I am at 175K now and it's been rock solid. I also had a spooky 3-4 shift when the weather was cold and the car was cold. I did not have to go back in and monkey with the A8 valve or valve body like I did in my 108K mile S8.

In the S8 I found that the valve could stick in a few clock positions, and that there was some cupping/wear of the deepest 17mm bore. Deburring that a bit and rounding off the sharp edges of the TransGo valve seems to have eliminated this sticking and it's been perfect since. The minor shifting issues I'd had in the S8 went away with the TransGo valve but then I got a couple instances where it freewheeled and banged into gear, so the TransGo valve had been able to stick until I went in after it and sorted it out.

Here is a thread in which I think the VB is shown apart:

Probably this particular image? Looks right to me:

Maybe a bit fiddly to swap over everything but not brain surgery. Those weird looking eyeball things are bolts and screws.
post follow up

You must be registered and logged in to post. Please select an option:

Login with existing account
Create a new account

All messages | Search Forums | Return to D2 A8/S8 (1997 - 2003)