quattroworld

D2 A8/S8 (1997 - 2003)
All messages | Search Forums | Return to D2 A8/S8 (1997 - 2003)
Dissect it.
Posted by: BrianC72gt (5512) on 2018-04-29 00:31:41
In Reply to: might be a failing cluster, never seen one fail before but if you reseated all connections... posted by audinutt on 2018-04-28 19:10:25

Share | Report
Remove the cluster then get about ten dimes to shim all the locking tabs and open up the cluster. And keep going...and going....ribbon cables...unseat them from circuit boards...The shared power supply is surface mounted to the inside of the back housing. Its been awhile since I took it all apart, but there are a couple of inner locking tabs, maybe some torx screws? I tweaked my cluster when welding up a trailer hitch years ago. Reseated it, no joy, took it all apart, sprayed contact cleaner on all the inside ribbon cables connections,seated and reseated them to scrape the contacts clean and it worked like a charm.

And your symptoms sound like the cluster. It incorporates the immobilizer hardware, so the start/die thing makes sense. Fast forward 7 years to last winter and it started acting up again. I dissected a junkyard cluster and swapped the power supply. Good to go again...for now anyway.
Thread:
post follow up

You must be registered and logged in to post. Please select an option:

Login with existing account
Create a new account

All messages | Search Forums | Return to D2 A8/S8 (1997 - 2003)