quattroworld.com Forums: the cup in the tank has a little wiggle room...

quattroworld

D2 A8/S8 (1997 - 2003)
All messages | Search Forums | Return to D2 A8/S8 (1997 - 2003)
the cup in the tank has a little wiggle room...
Posted by: BrianC72gt (5512) on 2014-07-31 15:36:56
In Reply to: I have a very similar scenario to Carnut68..R&R'd the entire fuel pump assembly and now she runs posted by quattro.pilot on 2014-07-31 14:41:34

Share | Report
It is really only held in place by the corrugated plastic hoses that enmenate from it. These hoses pick up fuel from the lowest parts of the tank...front left and right and are secureded to the bottom by a series of clips. You can get the long bolt to thread in while still missing the mating port. Simplest way I've found to ensure you got it right is to pump out the tank by rigging up a threaded fuel barb where the banjo bolt threads in the top of pump assembly, six feet of cheapo fuel line (not under pressure, just moving volume) then gently wedge fuel pump relay closed, switch ignition on and pump runs. Have a helper toggle the ignition switch while you fill a large gas can or 4. If you can pump it out completely, you got it right.

The trick is to rotate the assembly fully BEFORE pushing it straight down the last 2 inches. I will not expound further on the perils of plunging before first ensuring proper alignment ... at least there is no exhaust port adjacent to the intended target.
Thread:
post follow up

You must be registered and logged in to post. Please select an option:

Login with existing account
Create a new account

All messages | Search Forums | Return to D2 A8/S8 (1997 - 2003)