quattroworld.com Forums: ABS module repair/replacement?

quattroworld

D2 A8/S8 (1997 - 2003)
All messages | Search Forums | Return to D2 A8/S8 (1997 - 2003)
ABS module repair/replacement?
Posted by: s8ilver (17935) on 2015-04-14 14:34:56

Share | Report
About 4 weeks ago, my S8 was ever so slightly rear ended by a '95 POS Lincoln Towncar. I'm talking 2-3 mph at a stoplight...he basically just rolled into me. There was no damage to any structural component (5mph bumpers work as advertised) except a slight scrape. I was about to blow it off and get out the polisher until bam, got a funny upshift right after the "incident." Luckily I got the other driver's info before I departed the scene.

I pulled right over, called my insurance company and filed a claim. I reported rear bumper damage and "peculiar shifting."

Some of you may recall my fishy 01119 ABS code. I thoroughly cleaned ABS sensors and tone rings and all was well until the "incident." The local shop diagnosing the funny shifting has checked everything and suspects a faulty ABS module. They said the "impact could have killed it." Of course the insurance company doesn't agree and has denied replacement under my coverage. I don't feel like paying the shop $2300 to replace it.

At least I got a freshly painted rear bumper. It was hell for them to color match light silver metallic, but it looks brand new. Sigh.

Any sources to ABS modules besides buying a new one at about $1400? Cheapabs.com does not repair Bosch 5.0 modules, and as far as I know that's what I have. I don't know how I feel about a used module. Anyone replaced theirs?
Thread:
post follow up

You must be registered and logged in to post. Please select an option:

Login with existing account
Create a new account

All messages | Search Forums | Return to D2 A8/S8 (1997 - 2003)