quattroworld.com Forums: No harm in cleaning and reseating the contacts on the trinary switch.

quattroworld

D2 A8/S8 (1997 - 2003)
All messages | Search Forums | Return to D2 A8/S8 (1997 - 2003)
No harm in cleaning and reseating the contacts on the trinary switch.
Posted by: TwoSeven (3728) on 2015-08-03 13:42:12
In Reply to: Running hot, possibly the electric fan? posted by chenishead on 2015-08-03 13:33:27

Share | Report
I did the same and found minor improvement with overall fan performance, but I had the same symptoms as you and replaced the electric fan before I knew about the three-pronged wonder. Turned out to be the problem anyway. My electric fan was barely turning.

If I had to do it all over (and eventually I am sure I will) I would clean and reseat the triple threat before replacing the fan. Takes very little time, most of it spent removing and reinstalling the belly pan. I would also test the electric fan with jumper wires to see how well it performs with unregulated 12v from a battery or bench tester. If it runs significantly faster with straight 12v than it seems to during normal operation while installed, the trinary guy is more likely at fault (assuming that the fan doesn't make excessive bearing noise when connected directly to 12v). Mine was groaning and grinding during that test, so I replaced it and my temps went back down to normal. If both the electric fan and the trinary switch are working as intended, the fan is very loud when working against A/C while outside temps are high. You will be able to hear the difference. I wouldn't worry about a hot compressor at this point unless the climate control system doesn't blow cold.

~Sam
Thread:
post follow up

You must be registered and logged in to post. Please select an option:

Login with existing account
Create a new account

All messages | Search Forums | Return to D2 A8/S8 (1997 - 2003)