quattroworld.com Forums: this board seems to have the most knowledgable 4.2 belt drive people so please help with cam adjuste

quattroworld

D2 A8/S8 (1997 - 2003)
All messages | Search Forums | Return to D2 A8/S8 (1997 - 2003)
this board seems to have the most knowledgable 4.2 belt drive people so please help with cam adjuste
Posted by: DxC (152) on 2015-10-05 23:51:12

Share | Report

YouTube TNqOn-wZOeA
the video sums up my issue quite well but heres the long version:

I got a touareg that was on its way to the junkyard. its got 130k and timing belt was done at 107k, and is your average condition touareg. it runs and drives but had a noisy cam adjuster clickity clacketing

I assume it was destined for the junkyard bc the cam tensioner on the driver side was making crazy noise. no big deal, i swapped in another tensioner and found that it would make noise at idle but not when revving. i figured i swapped in a bad adjuster so i sacked up and bought a new one.

the original tensioner i removed had broken plastic tensioner shoes, which i removed some pieces of, i also noticed it had a broken screen at the oil inlet

the second tensioner upon removal i noticed had a small bit of sludge bits on the screen

the third tensioner (brand new) i just put in behaves exactly like the second one. i figured maybe it was sludge, and drained the oil and filled it up with diesel fuel for 30 mins and let it desludge and then drained it, still does it

when the tensioners were out i shot compressed air down the oil passages for cam adjuster, and oil shot out the cam journals. i blocked them off and then shot backwards through the other way

any ideas? do i have a blocked oil passage?

i found a thread where a guy had the exact same issue but just made a workaround fix by adding a wire so cam adjuster status was always on. i give him credit for figuring out a workaround fix. obviously id like to fix it properly if possible but i could always fall back on this idea if i have to

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f92/04-touareg-v8-cam-timing-chain-tensioner-72068.html

heres a link to the video in case its not embedded
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNqOn-wZOeA
Thread:
post follow up

You must be registered and logged in to post. Please select an option:

Login with existing account
Create a new account

All messages | Search Forums | Return to D2 A8/S8 (1997 - 2003)