quattroworld

test test D2 A8/S8 (1997 - 2003)
Forum Tips | Search Forums | Return to D2 A8/S8 (1997 - 2003)
  • Electric fan conversion
    Posted by: esseight (1215) on 2018-03-30 10:35:59

Share | Report
    Just curious how many have gone from a mechanical fan to an electric one. My fan is the loudest thing on earth and runs continuously regardless of engine temp; though it is engine speed dependent it never freewheels even with engine off. Fan clutch checks out okay (tried two new ones with no difference). Also, if there is an issue with fan operation I'm somewhat concerned about running that much load on the engine long-term as well as reduced performance.

I should note that I have a manual swapped car and am comparing it to the auto S8 I had many years ago which I do not recall being as loud. That shouldn't matter other than I now run in higher rev ranges much more often than I ever did in the auto did which results in the fan running faster/louder. Or maybe I'm just imagining it...

Long story short is I'm considering an electric fan conversion. In doing some research I know that there are a couple of you that have done it (audinutt, icrashcars I believe was thinking about it) but wanted to get opinions/suggestions/tips/tricks. How difficult is it for the (very) casual DIY'er? My indy's don't want to do it.
    • Get a new fan clutch!
      Posted by: onewhippedpuppy (16741) on 2018-04-03 00:15:46

Share | Report
      I put on a new Meyle fan clutch during my recent timing belt change and it was constantly engaged, even when cold outside. It drove me nuts so I finally replaced the Meyle with an OEM Behr fan clutch and no more noise. Apparently this is common with the Meyle and other cheaper fan clutches.
    • Roll up a newspaper & test the fan clutch.
      Posted by: RexNICO (11364) on 2018-03-31 02:13:28

Share | Report
      Start engine COLD, stick rolled up newspaper into the blade (WATCH your fingers) the blade should stop.

If it does not, the clutch is not working correctly.

To test engagement (not your issue),with fully warmed engine stick rolled up newspaper into the blade (WATCH your fingers) the paper should shred like confetti.
    • Electric fans
      Posted by: DS8 (677) on 2018-03-30 19:02:02

Share | Report
      Should be easy. Have a fan shroud already, lots of fans available from Summit etc, but bigger question is why is current fan noisy? I never hear mine and have to open hood to check when electric fan kicks in when needed. My main fan is quiet as a church mouse.
      • Audis have multiple cooling fans.
        Posted by: CalG (2755) on 2018-03-31 16:02:41

Share | Report
        There is the engine driven one, that turns all the time. That one is quite unobjectionable.

It is the thermostatic controlled THREE SPEED electric fan that is the offensive one.

There is a "diode panel" just in front of the left front tire that controls the electric fan speed, but that control panel takes it's signal from a temperature switch. There may be some interplay with the A/C system as well. Is it called the "trinary" switch/sensor? I can't recall at the moment.

At any rate, when the sensor/switch fails, the fan is driven to constant high speed operation. It's not long and the fan motor self destructs with continuous duty.

Find that switch and replace it.

STF I'm sure the info is here in previous discussions.
        • Also electric fan checks out ok
          Posted by: esseight (1215) on 2018-03-31 21:36:43

Share | Report
          Trinary switch too, which we were thinking about using to control the electric fan swapped in. Have to look into that more
        • It's not the electric one
          Posted by: esseight (1215) on 2018-03-31 21:25:00

Share | Report
          Took the mechanical fan off for a few hours and it was like night and day the difference in noise, and to a certain extent responsiveness though I may have talked myself into that
      • Don't understand it
        Posted by: esseight (1215) on 2018-03-30 19:59:15

Share | Report
        It just seems to roar (and not in a good way) all the time. I've tried two new fan clutches, so that's not the issue. Blades are fine, obviously. Shroud is intact and mounted correctly. Thermostat's good. The fan doesn't seem to disengage (freewheel) at lower temps and doesn't spin very easily when cold. As I said, I'm usually around 3000 rpm in everyday driving which is about 1200 rpm higher than an auto would be, so it could very well be fan noise due to the increased engine speed.

Going to try and meet up with a local S8 or two for comparison purposes. The couple of shops I've had look at it tell me NTF, so all of this might just be me as I tend to fixate on something once it starts bothering me whether legitimate or not.
  • Forum Tips | Search Forums | Return to D2 A8/S8 (1997 - 2003)