quattroworld.com Forums: I have had good luck removing the fitting by doing so slowly in stages...

quattroworld

allroad
All messages | Search Forums | Return to allroad
I have had good luck removing the fitting by doing so slowly in stages...
Posted by: Econguy (3155) on 2014-08-17 22:05:40
In Reply to: No way to remove the old fitting without shortening the air line? posted by Kneale Brownson on 2014-08-17 12:43:56

Share | Report
If you unwind the fitting all the way while the spring is under pressure, you run the risk of the brass fitting being blown out of the plastic top of the spring and wiping out some of the theads.

I crack the fitting and let the air out in stages, a turn at a time... Psssssh, loosen, psssssh, loosen, psssssssssssh, loosen, et cetera.

I have had very good success with this method for the last half-a-dozen or so front end services I've done.

Ahem, when the leak develops around the brass fittings, a couple of wraps of teflon tape has worked well for me.

Oh, and I haven't had an issue with the airline being too short to trim. Just be frugal when you are trimming and keep it close to the ferrule. The factory ferule is crimped on, deforming the airline (you'll see the marks on the line if you remove it), and may prevent the new Arnott fitting from grabbing correctly.
Thread:
post follow up

You must be registered and logged in to post. Please select an option:

Login with existing account
Create a new account

All messages | Search Forums | Return to allroad