quattroworld.com Forums: Success with an Ebay key: 2004 allroad

quattroworld

allroad
All messages | Search Forums | Return to allroad
Success with an Ebay key: 2004 allroad
Posted by: utchuckles (16469) on 2014-12-16 22:27:15

Share | Report
I successfully bought a remote and a key-blank and got it to work with my 2004 allroad. Here's what I did:

1. purchased the new un-cut key head with chip from
yourkeylessremote from ebay. It was 8.99 on a bid.

2. I purchased a matching remote fob (matched my remote numbers)
from remotestore on ebay. It was $10.50 on a bid and the paint/panic button are like new. Of course it came with a key cut for another car and a used chip (which can't be reused).

3. The uncut-key was cut by a locksmith for $35. There was a place 40 miles south that could do it for $20. The locksmith offered to match the key to the car for $50. I did that part myself.

So: the new remote matched mine: 4D0 837 231 M
the new key-blank had a transponder chip in it.
The first one I bought had no chip (I took it apart to check)
and they rapidly sent a new blank-head with a chip.

I followed these instructions linked in the URL below.

I used a blue OBDI cable bought from ebay (previously) for use with VAG Commander.
I downloaded VAG Commander 2.5 (the ECU wakeup number was different from the URL but it was the only one that gave the key-code).
I used VAG-COM with the Ross Tech cable to match the keys based on their video by using the 4-digit key-code (added the extra zero to make 5 digits as per the URL). I followed the instructions to verify the key-code. A wrong code gives an error message. The correct code never gave a 'code valid' message.

It all worked flawlessly. I figured all I was out was a new key-head with a new chip if it failed.

Total cost: $19.49 + $35 to cut the key.
Our dealer (Strong Audi) wanted $150 to cut a key and another $100 to match it to the car. The locksmith offered to match keys for $50. The URL saves that cost. It wasn't simple to find a locksmith to cut the blank. Two turned me down and the third one I tried was willing to cut it.

I hope this helps someone trying to get a second key & fob for their allroad.
Thread:
post follow up

You must be registered and logged in to post. Please select an option:

Login with existing account
Create a new account

All messages | Search Forums | Return to allroad