quattroworld.com Forums: Small troubles with the air ride

quattroworld

allroad
All messages | Search Forums | Return to allroad
Small troubles with the air ride
Posted by: CalG (2755) on 2017-07-25 17:13:29

Share | Report
The trouble started Saturday when I wanted a bit more clearance under the car while negotiating some washed out back roads. Noting much, just a punch of the up button.

But then it wouldn't go, and faulted the compressor due to over heat.
Sunday all hell broke loose with the system and I feared the worst. It wouldn't go up past level one, and when parked fell flat with the level control warning light flashing on the dash display for some time before it would lift it's self enough to clear. Then of course, the pump would over temp and fault again ;-) Jeesh Circular ....

Well it rained all day yesterday, so I didn't pull any wheels, but today the worst precipitation was a little mist, so up she went on floor jacks, ramps and jack stands. All at various moments during the investigation.

Sudsing the rear bags returned nothing even though it always appeared that the rear squatted first.

I had just replaced the RF bag on warrantee from Arnott in early spring. That appears good also.

Looking at the Level Control with Vag-Com has three items that seem suspect.

First, That the system pressure never went over 11.4 bar even though the display block suggests a range up to 15 bar. Second, the air pump cycles enough that it registers temperatures over 100C "most of the time. At least during a trip to and from the gas station. 15 miles round trip with speeds up to 50mph where the max pressure was displayed.

The pump was "rebuilt" a few years back with a kit from BagpipingAndy, and has worked well 'till now.

I'm thinking a new pump or another rebuild. Based on the low max pressure.

'Just back from a shakedown drive, and the Allroad is sitting at level 4 in the drive. There is no denying, the car is settling. There is a leak somewhere. As mentioned, I've been around the bags with the spray bottle of soapy water. Nothing yet. ;-)

I'll get it, but if you have comment on the 11.4 bar pressure and 100+ degrees C, please advise.

Cheers
Thread:
post follow up

You must be registered and logged in to post. Please select an option:

Login with existing account
Create a new account

All messages | Search Forums | Return to allroad