quattroworld.com Forums: saw them in use a few weeks ago

quattroworld

Architecture & Design/Construction/DIY
All messages | Search Forums | Return to Architecture & Design/Construction/DIY
saw them in use a few weeks ago
Posted by: HDClown (601) on 2015-03-21 08:27:09
In Reply to: While we're on the subject, anyone try a cordless (hose-less) framing nailer?.... posted by blueprinTT on 2015-03-20 23:05:27

Share | Report
Guys who set the form for my pool used them, and I saw someone else use them for something related to my pool, but I can't remember. They are on the low end of air nailer weight, at just over 7 lbs. Air nailers can go up to 10 lbs, but there are ones around 7.5 lbs.

I was actually considering buying one of those because I've always thought they were cool as shit, and not having to use a hose/compressor is sweet. It's massive overkill, but that's often my style.

They use a combination of a battery and a fuel cell. The newest framing model, 325Li has a Lithium-Ion battery that's good for 6000 nails per charge But, the fuel sell is only good for about 1000-1200 nails. Once the Li-Ion battery runs out, it recharges fully in 1 hours, or enough to drive 200 nails with 2 minutes of charge.

The fuel cells are $11-12/each. I think you have to buy Paslode nails, not sure if there is any 3rd party stuff that works).

Fuel cell costs add up quick when you are shooting a lot of nails for something like framing up a house, or doing a roof, etc., but they are great for smaller jobs, or if you just don't have a compressor that's portable.

They make framing, roofing, 16ga finish, 18ga brad, and 18ga stapler's as well. Only thing they are missing is a 15ga finish if you were looking for a full set of cordless nailers.

Only 2 of them are Li-Ion currently (framing and 16ga angle) but I'm guessing they are working on updating all of them to Li-Ion.

As far as nails vs. screws goes, nails have higher shear strength than most screws. As freakiness said, a regular ole deck screw isn't designed for framing applications where shear strength is a factor (ie. shear weight). There are some screws designed for this purpose, and can even have higher shear strength, such as Simpson SD Screws. So you need to know what you are doing if you decide to go "screws vs. nails" when shear loads are a factor.
Thread:
post follow up

You must be registered and logged in to post. Please select an option:

Login with existing account
Create a new account

All messages | Search Forums | Return to Architecture & Design/Construction/DIY