quattroworld.com Forums: I use GE Silicone II in bathtubs and showers, but that's about it

quattroworld

Architecture & Design/Construction/DIY
All messages | Search Forums | Return to Architecture & Design/Construction/DIY
I use GE Silicone II in bathtubs and showers, but that's about it
Posted by: HDClown (601) on 2015-04-24 21:56:08
In Reply to: Let's talk caulk - DAP Alex Plus or paintable GE Silicone II XST? posted by Donuts on 2015-04-24 14:21:39

Share | Report
Pure Silicone caulks are just a pain to work with and clean up, so I reserve use of it for constantly wet areas where moisture sits for extended periods of time.

I stick to DAP Alex Plus mostly for anything else indoors (it's only marginally more expensive than Alex Painters Caulk so I don't mind spending the extra money for something better.

For exterior I'll try to use DAP Dynaflex 230 or Alex Ultra 230. If you're not going to paint it, the Ultra 230 is nice because it has microban to help with mildew. I've recently used a bunch of Alex Plus for stuff like caulking my screen room supports against stucco on the house and some wood posts, as well as fill in random holes in stuck. It's all going to get painted and I don't need a ton of flexibility, so I figured the Alex Plus is good enough.

If you are willing to splurge, get Acrylic Urethane. It's better than latex/siliconized acrylic caulks and still cleans up with water. You can get GE Max Flex Acrylic Urethane Window/Door and Kitchen/Bath on Amazon but it's $9-10/tube. I used the Window/Door to install the windows in my addition. I used Tyvek on the addition and DuPont recommends their own branded Acrylic Urethane but I couldn't source it in single tube, so I used the GE.

I'm going to use the GE Max Flex Window/Door for a few upcoming door replacements as well.
Thread:
post follow up

You must be registered and logged in to post. Please select an option:

Login with existing account
Create a new account

All messages | Search Forums | Return to Architecture & Design/Construction/DIY