quattroworld.com Forums: Linen closet w/ full-extension pullouts

quattroworld

Architecture & Design/Construction/DIY
All messages | Search Forums | Return to Architecture & Design/Construction/DIY
Linen closet w/ full-extension pullouts
Posted by: Donuts (9780) on 2015-07-23 19:37:39

Share | Report
Working on this in fits and starts after my wife hit on the idea of full-extension pullout shelves for our hallway linen closet which was 28" deep and little more than some pieces of 1x12 for shelves. The depth made it a PITA to find stuff in the back and she brilliantly posed the question why not make this the same as our kitchen cabinets and pull-out pantry. Hmmm...good idea!

Stated by tearing out the old 3/8" sheetrock (yes 3/8") and then framing up the door to 6/8' from the old 8/0. Door was a 1960's flat metal bi-fold and while I wanted to do a 6-panel in 8/0 she rightly refused given all the bedroom doors are 6/8.

The S/R was replaced with 1/2" MDO board which I drilled for a floor to ceiling adjustable shelf installation with holes every 2". Pegboard makes a great template! Also installed at 3" LED to light to brighten things up.

Slideouts were courtesy a place called Shelvesthatslide.com in AZ which made my slide-outs to measure and had them to me in under 2 weeks. Great quality and great service!

Shelves are now 3/4" birch ply which is stained and then sprayed with 6 to 8 coats of amber shellac on each side and edge so they match the floor and door in tone.

Lots of work for a closet but a huge improvement and space saver. Just wish I was able to convince the wife to hinge the door on the other side. :-(

Thread:
post follow up

You must be registered and logged in to post. Please select an option:

Login with existing account
Create a new account

All messages | Search Forums | Return to Architecture & Design/Construction/DIY