quattroworld.com Forums: I always use the solid pvc pipe vs the black corrugated stuff.. just feels like a better choice...

quattroworld

Architecture & Design/Construction/DIY
All messages | Search Forums | Return to Architecture & Design/Construction/DIY
I always use the solid pvc pipe vs the black corrugated stuff.. just feels like a better choice...
Posted by: pilot345 (9252) on 2017-09-29 03:19:23
In Reply to: Has anyone used a prefabricated French drain pipe (EZflow) by NDS?? posted by 5speed6 on 2017-09-29 02:03:38

Share | Report
all around when I am installing it, as it more closely resembles a permanent sealed piping system, and can be installed with fittings, set to grade, even glued up or riveted, and sleeved through or joined in various ways to other things to accomplish what I need. Where as that black garbage is not worth even trying to do any of that stuff listed above with, because its like tossing a piece of spaghetti in a pit and expecting it to function like a straight solid length of pipe with a specific pitch.

Also, the corrugations cant exactly be a way to provide smooth reliable flow in the pipe, but rather as a means to collect debris inevitably resulting in a clog. And forget about being able to snake or jet the run if I happen to add a clean out because it is a critical drain or whatever. That black stuff would probably be destroyed in that process.

All around, it seems to be designed to be cheap, easy to transport, and easy to unroll as you let it fall into the trench, but beyond those benefits, I cant see any over an actual pipe for the job. Its like using expando flex duct, vs solid metal for a dryer or vent fan duct etc, just don't do it. I see both have exciting time saving add ons now too in an attempt to rope people in, that's what your built in rock sock is, like the pre-insulated flex duct of the pipe world.

I would do more shopping for your drainage stone. I think I paid maybe a couple hundred bucks for 20tons maybe? (a full dump truck) of #2 stone. Of course the delivery only goes to one location, and I needed to deal with moving what I needed to after that, but I have never felt like stone cost was a limiting factor in any jobs where I want to use it.

In fact, based on a little experimentation of mine, if you have no need for the accuracy, and connect ability of a piping system just digging a trench and filling a portion with gravel, and filter layer drains exactly the same with or without the pipe in the middle.
Thread:
post follow up

You must be registered and logged in to post. Please select an option:

Login with existing account
Create a new account

All messages | Search Forums | Return to Architecture & Design/Construction/DIY