quattroworld.com Forums: Questions about routers for tech savvy people...

quattroworld

Computers
All messages | Search Forums | Return to Computers
Questions about routers for tech savvy people...
Posted by: Jet Jockey (2155) on 2018-03-13 13:38:43

Share | Report
OK, I have a CISCO/Linksys EA6300 router which seems to be able to do everything I want it to do (4 wired out ports and dual band WIFI which can handle over 1.2 GIG/second download) except it keeps fucking up with its "Parental Control" option. The different problems have occurred way too many times now and are expensive to fix as I will explain.

Since I have started using the parental control, the EA6300 sometimes decides to lock out one of my son's wired computer and his cell phone (WIFI) and my daughter's cell (WIFI) while in the "non blocked" hours setting... Going to the "Parental Control" in the EA6300 does not solve the issue and they remain lock out.

I did find out that turning "OFF" the router and turning it back "ON" solves this problem. However, this is not a good or long term solution because if I'm away out of town for several days or weeks at the time, the kids are not going to be happy. BTW, the router is locked away in the electrical panel so they have no access to it. This way they cannot hit the reset on the router.
Furthermore, I found out that trying to change any settings in the "Parental Control" is now also impossible to do and I get an "error" message with a remark to contact tech support.

The final straw came today when I found one of my son's still playing his game at 5am when the Internet should have be blocked by the router at an earlier time. When checking the Parental Control in the router this morning I was shocked to see that my son's computer, his cell phone and my daughter's cell phone were not on the parental control list anymore... WTF?

To say the least I am totally fed up with this router and its inconsistencies and talking to CISCO/Linksys' tech support is like having your teeth pulled without aesthesis.

The cost... Because my router is out of the warranty period (no more free tech support) and that I started encountering these problems, I needed to buy a tech support program ($50 IIRC) for 6 months (expire this June).

But the bigger problem is because the WIFI from the EA6300 is not strong enough to cover my whole house on multiple levels, I require a second router on the main floor to do the WIFI for the rest of the house. Also, I have a Control 4 system in the house which runs the lighting, the music system and TV. Both the Control 4 and extra router are dependent on the EA6300 and every time you "reset" the EA6300 which is what Linksys tech support wants to do (I agreed to it once) to trouble shoot the problems, it screws up the other router and the Control 4 system. Then I need to call the installer of the Control 4 system (and the second router) and have him reprogram the systems to the EA6300 which is more money out of pocket.

Needless to say I'm not going to go through this shit all the time!

So can someone point out to me a very good home router or perhaps a professional type router with at least 4 wired "out" ports (more would be better) with a powerful 2 or 3 band WIFI system that includes parental control that is stable and will work properly without all the BS I get from the EA6300.

Also the router must be able to download at least 1.1 or 1.2 GIG/sec on both the wired ports and in WIFI mode.

TIA
Thread:
post follow up

You must be registered and logged in to post. Please select an option:

Login with existing account
Create a new account

All messages | Search Forums | Return to Computers