quattroworld.com Forums: I did get a few more kinks worked out and think I got it straightened out. First I had the

quattroworld

Home Audio & Video
All messages | Search Forums | Return to Home Audio & Video
I did get a few more kinks worked out and think I got it straightened out. First I had the
Posted by: Dr. Greenthumb (1824) on 2017-10-09 13:44:18
In Reply to: Audio Research D79 made it! posted by Dr. Greenthumb on 2017-09-30 13:27:11

Share | Report
Altecs hooked up. As stated before, the D79 is wayyyy to much amp for those speakers. The amp was never able to stretch its legs. Highs and mids were nice but the lower end is really lacking. This has more to do with the speakers than anything. The VOTTs are just too big. I've had them sound great in smaller spaces. The cabinet with the horn for lows doesn't get down as Altec's made for home use. Definitely getting the SE 2A3 amps back on them, now that a few issues have been ironed out.

Hooked up the Urei 809s and the first thing I notice was the imaging. Instruments and vocals had space around them. The sound stage really opened up all the way around. Music was more lively and sharper. I have to the drive and trim worked out on the 809s to get meds and highs balanced out. The lows are pretty weak since the cabinet is a for a studio monitor. Putting these in a bigger cabinet would help get down a bit lower. These smaller speakers are much better sized for the space.

The Urei's have that awesome time aligned crossover. A buddy of mine had a pair of 813's that were mind boggling and could handle a higher power amp. They had the Altec/JBL 604G in there with the TA crossover. I will be on the hunt for a pair of these, or a minty pair Altec 604s.
Thread:
post follow up

You must be registered and logged in to post. Please select an option:

Login with existing account
Create a new account

All messages | Search Forums | Return to Home Audio & Video