quattroworld.com Forums: Been working a bunch on the CJ the last week or so.

quattroworld

North Texas
All messages | Search Forums | Return to North Texas
Been working a bunch on the CJ the last week or so.
Posted by: Jay4R (1081) on 2013-10-23 15:13:58

Share | Report
In 15 minute segments more or less. grrrr... That's really all the amount of time I get in one sitting. Family Liiiife!

Pulled the roll-over and liquid check valves out of the rear wheel house area. The hoses from the fuel tank to them were really dry-rotted, and I think that's where a lot of my strong gas smell is coming from.

Cracked Hoses:

Pulled down:

LCV

I managed to put a hairline crack in one of the fittings on the LCV, so I JB-welded it last night. You can't find a liquid check valve for a CJ anymore. Period. So I'd like to for this fix to work. :)

Cracked Fitting right at base:

The roll-over valve worked fine, I just wire wheeled it, put some rust converter on it, and shot it with two coats of rustoleum pro black... just to keep it from rusting in the future.

I pulled all those lines of the tank yesterday, and measured and cut new hoses.

While I was working back there, I pulled off the chrome bumperettes, and tow hitch assembly. I won't be putting the tow hitch back on. So I wire wheeled and sanded the rear cross member (bumper for you JK drivers), and put rust converter on it. I'll mask it off and rattlecan it black.

Bumperettes... great condition:

Removed Tow hitch bar:

Rear Cross Member:

Some Surface Rust behind bumperette:

I poked around in the engine compartment, and found two intake manifold bolts were pretty loose, and 1 exhaust manifold bolts. So I properly torqued them down. Many of the Carter BBD carb screws were loose as well (both the screws that hold it to the intake, and that hold it together), so I tightened them down. As well.

Lastly, I wire wheeled the factory jack and mounting plate, rust converted, and will paint tonight. No pics of this...
Thread:
post follow up

You must be registered and logged in to post. Please select an option:

Login with existing account
Create a new account

All messages | Search Forums | Return to North Texas