quattroworld

Photography
All messages | Search Forums | Return to Photography
Well, my few thoughts
Posted by: Tokiman (305) on 2016-09-19 07:07:43
In Reply to: Off Camera Lighting - Vello vs PW posted by AudiSportB5S4 on 2016-09-14 20:07:58

Share | Report
I never heard of Vello before, I've never seen one used. I can't say that's bad or good, but hope that you have solid support behind the product becuase most of them have quirks. There are some nice things I like about what you posted though, especially the slide switch on the group selector. I do prefer the tall display to show all the groups too at one time, and I like how it's camera facing (as opposed to top-down) but that also depends on how you shoot.

The radio trigger market is being completely twisted around right now. There are so many systems out there and they are all quirky.

Will the Velo work? I dunno. I haven't really looked at PW in a long time either, even though they have been the standard for a long time.

You can basically think about triggers/receivers in several ways

Basic off camera, you just need it to fire on radio (as opposed to optical). What you don't get is the ability to change any settings on the flash, which is a pita when the flash is far away from where you're standing.

more advanced, you'll want to have hss support, especially when it's integrated to automatically switch when the shutter goes above 1/200.

TTL support is a hot topic - most of the times when you're in portrait scenarios, you probably don't want to be using TTL. But it is super conveninent in the 10% of the times when you do. TTL support on triggers is ALL OVER THE MAP. For instance, a well integrated system like Profoto, you can shoot in TTL and switch to manual and lock the power setting. Super convenient. IN other systems, you switch from TTL and it forgets everything.

You'll also find that some systems struggle with mixing a TTL flash and a manually fired one as well

Now when you start firing multiple flashes in different groups on 3rd party triggers, you run into more compatibility problems. The group support, for instance, may not exist in the body even though it exists in the trigger. Or you run into these third party triggers that use a generic UI across multiple camera systems, so they're all slightly quirky.
Thread:
post follow up

You must be registered and logged in to post. Please select an option:

Login with existing account
Create a new account

All messages | Search Forums | Return to Photography