quattroworld

Photography
All messages | Search Forums | Return to Photography
depends on how much you want to spend on lenses, and if you plan on shooting video...
Posted by: larryV (309) on 2017-06-13 21:18:22
In Reply to: Do I want a Canon 80d or a Sony a6500? posted by Derek on 2017-06-13 20:40:30

Share | Report
Comparable native EF-mount glass for crop sensors not only has more variety but are also cheaper.

While Sony has been on a tear producing glass for E-mount, they are mostly for full frame E-mount and therefore somewhat betrays the smaller form factor of mirrorless crop sensor bodies like the A6500. Sadly, at the moment Sony seem focused on full frame E-mount and has mostly been stagnant with developing glass for crop-sensor E-mount.

Lastly, if you have a 20-month old, you will likely dabble quite a bit with videography as your kids grow up. I speak from experience with my 2 and soon-to-be 4 year old. I didn't think I'd shoot video but now I shoot a ton of it and I'm glad I did as there is nothing more fun watching your kids grow and re-watching them grow up once they are older. The 80D does not shoot 4k and while you might dismiss the Sony's 4k capability as unnecessary, it will reap its benefits in the future and even when your kids are adults when you want to pull old footage from when they were younger. Even though I don't currently distribute and share my videos in 4k, I do shoot almost all of them in 4K on my Sony A6500 and A7-series bodies and downsample to 1080p. Not only are there perceivable quality benefits from downsampling from 4K to 1080p, but you will also have the flexibility of punching in on video footage in post and crop the video to heart's content. As a hybrid photo + video camera, the A6500 is next to unbeatable. It's small form and light weight make it very easy to mount on portable gimbal too, like the Zhiyun crane.

If you're just looking for a stills camera with good AF to chase kids around, the 80D is probably better. If video gets into the mix, go A6500 all the way. AF on the Sony is just about as good as Canon's dual pixel and will yield you good hit rates as your kid becomes more active and mobile. I love mine.
Thread:
post follow up

You must be registered and logged in to post. Please select an option:

Login with existing account
Create a new account

All messages | Search Forums | Return to Photography