quattroworld

Photography
All messages | Search Forums | Return to Photography
I prefer primes, but on the A6500 which I primarily use for video, I make an exception..
Posted by: larryV (309) on 2017-06-23 03:38:12
In Reply to: Larry, do you have a lens or kit suggestion? I'm going to go a6500 and just trying to pick one posted by Derek on 2017-06-22 19:51:13

Share | Report
I really like 18-105 f/4 G lens. It's kinda big for the A6500 body but it makes a good case as a do-it-all lens if you were to only have one. It's perfect for video as there is a powerzoom feature, has optical image stabilization to supplement the A6500's IBIS, has decent optics, quick quiet focusing, and is of course a fixed-aperture zoom that is not too expensive.

The same can be said for the Sony-Zeiss 16-70 f/4. This one goes a bit wider at the expense of less reach on the long end. It's also much smaller than the 18-105 but costs $300 more. Optics are only marginally better than the 18-105 so I don't think it's worth the money, but ymmv. I actually sold my 16-70 zeiss once I acquired and started using the 18-105. I found the extra reach and powerzoom to be very useful for all the video I shoot so the 16-70 started to collect dust.

If I had to have just one prime on the A6500, I'd still go with the trusty old Zeiss 24mm f/1.8. The 35 and 50mm f/1.8 are better optically but I like the 24mm focal length more on a crop sensor.

The best optics in a zoom lens for native e-mount crop sensor is the 10-18 f/4. Not suitable as a do-it-all lens though so I can't recommend it unless you're a super wide angle addict.
Thread:
post follow up

You must be registered and logged in to post. Please select an option:

Login with existing account
Create a new account

All messages | Search Forums | Return to Photography