quattroworld.com Forums: Q7

quattroworld

test test Q7
Forum Tips | Search Forums | Return to Q7
  • is this what we have to do to Install a brake controller?
    Posted by: k04north (4729) on 2010-03-10 01:31:50

Share | Report
    - this is a link from rennlist - step by step Cayenne install

- I have a 2009 Q7 TDI with factory installed tow package

- it also seems after reading this post that Cayenne's change around 2006 and that the Prodigy will not work on a '06 because there is no convenient brake light wire to tie into as the brake light switch as it was moved to the master cylinder for at least the '06 vehicles

- has anyone installed a Brake Controller on a 2009 or later Q7

thanks

Paul
    • Probably yes, I need to do that for my Q7..
      Posted by: Fusilier (875) on 2010-03-10 05:16:12

Share | Report
      • email me...
        Posted by: k04north (4729) on 2010-03-10 15:44:11

Share | Report
        Maybe we should work on this together

Went to a diesel truck dealer today that only deals with big american diesels

For insurance reasons they didn't want to do it but they sold the family of EBC that are mentioned in the Cayenne writeup

My local audi dealership is clueless wrt what to do, I know it isn't hard - just have to find the wires

Love your track car - I use to DE a B5S4 - now a gt3

My email is mail dot oneil at gmail dot com

Thanks

Paul
        • Will do, I wiring in a Drawtite Actv 2
          Posted by: Fusilier (875) on 2010-03-11 13:36:25

Share | Report
          • - just spent 2 hours at a trailer shop - no luck finding the 12v brake switch...
            Posted by: k04north (4729) on 2010-03-12 11:21:53

Share | Report
            My vehicle is a 2009 3.0TDI with factory tow package
            - EBC connection was where it is suppose to be
            - found a TSB from audi that requires to open right rear panel in truck and connect 2 plugs together (this was after I left in frustration when they couldn't get it working - I think this still has nothing to do with the issue - just mentioning it)

- after numerous atemps to find a 12V switch source they gave up
            - on the SUV there is a switch on the brake pedal (but it does not have power according to the 2 techs that tried unsuccessfully for two hours)
            - when they disconnected this switch and pressed the pedal the brakes lights would still go on they said
            - they would also push the pedal and you could hear a clicking of some kind in the engine bay like a relay was involved?
            - i kept telling them about the possibility of the 12V source being at the master cylinder but they felt very uncomfortable with tapping anything in that area unless I was 100% sure (I have no idea - just a cayenne post from rennlist about post 2006 vehicles)

- went down to the Audi dealer and pleaded they try and find out what is the answer

- see what they come up with next week

- i'm sure it is simple - just need a 12V source

Paul
            • see these two pics by mksap11, you can read the part #
              Posted by: Jusforfun (751) on 2010-03-13 06:39:52

Share | Report
              Is this what you are looking for?
              When you do finally solve your problem please post your solution. As far as I can see, every time a person posts about EBC the thread slips into confusion as people reply about plug adaptors which is a seperate issue.
              AFAIK the part is the same all models 07-09. I may be barking up the wrong tree.

• thanks, I had seen that post before...
                Posted by: k04north (4729) on 2010-03-13 08:57:27

Share | Report
                - pretty sure, not 100%, but that is not going to solve the problem

- the "problem" is that the tekonsha prodigy needs a 12V input for a brake signal and I do not believe that there is one by the pedals - think it has been re-located to the other side of the firewall somewhere

- sounds like the cayenne guys are using older EBC that work around this issue so my research continues

- i went to the hitch shop armed with a few rennlist posts, including the above post so we found everything we needed to find EXCEPT a 12V source

- the 2009 3.0TDI Q7 has a brake pedal switch but it doesn't have 12V power to signal the Prodigy (it clearly relays the information to another area in the car)

- i'm sure we will figure it out

- I emailed a rennlist cayenne poster who said he just recently found the solution for a 2009 cayenne and would get me the information

paul
                • Just to confirm, you guys are fitting the same unit to the same car
                  Posted by: Jusforfun (751) on 2010-03-15 02:44:18

Share | Report
                  I know one is TDI and the other FSI but I am surprised its not working out for you.
                  1. There is a 4 wire connector under the dash on drivers side. It has power, earth, brake signal, electric brake signal
                  2. Connect your tekonsha to these 4 wires - Audi have a matching connector and 2.5mm wires with pins available - give them the number of the connector in the car and they can supply the matching connector and pins
                  3. Check in the trunk to the right of the tire change equipment for a 2 pin connector - it goes to the front under the dash to the tekonsha. The cable is just to the right of the Nav DVD drive - if fitted
                  4. Check it has a 2 pin cable plugged into it - if not search around in the same area for a 2 pin connector that matches the other connector - plug them together. (This was my problem!!!)
                  5. Check that the electric brake wire on the trailer connector (or adapter cable) is connected to the correct pin - mine wasn't!!! (Note I have a Euro 13 pin trailer connector that does not know about electric brakes as a standard, so I have an adapter cable that plugs between this and my trailer - it was the adapter that was wired incorrectly! Audi techs!$#%!%!%!%!!!!!)
                  Done - it should now all work.
                  I mounted my Tekonsha between the steering wheel and the center console about half way up and half way across - is clear of everything.
                  Hope this helps someone!!!
                  END QUOTE

Only reposting in case you missed that link. Its a bit hidden below the pics.
  • Forum Tips | Search Forums | Return to Q7