quattroworld.com Forums: In my case the car would become all but impossible to drive at negative (�C) temperatures.

quattroworld

UrS4/UrS6/S2/RS2
All messages | Search Forums | Return to UrS4/UrS6/S2/RS2
In my case the car would become all but impossible to drive at negative (�C) temperatures.
Posted by: KBATTPO (11707) on 2015-02-23 20:29:47
In Reply to: What were the symptoms? I'm having a hard time figuring out how ice forms inside the strut posted by ThetaTau87 on 2015-02-23 18:42:20

Share | Report
A pothole in the asphalt would result in a hard WHAM! from suspension as if the springs were replaced with bricks. When I removed the shocks from the struts the strut tubes had about a cup of brown liquid inside. I stuffed the tubes with rags and dried them out this way. Shold've drilled and drained the tubes instead.

The shocks looked rather terrible as well:

I thought that the brown liquid inside the tubes came out of shock absorbers and was puzzled as to 1) why what I expected to be oil felt like water to the touch and froze at negative temperatures and 2) why did it not freeze while still inside the shock before it leaked out.

I sent both shocks to Bilstein and they replaced them under warranty.

This whole thread has finally shed some light on what was happening inside the strut tubes. I now recall that both rubber bellows were torn to pieces which can explain how the water got inside. Naturally I installed brand new bellows and the new shocks came with new top nuts with brand new seals in them so all is good now.
Thread:
post follow up

You must be registered and logged in to post. Please select an option:

Login with existing account
Create a new account

All messages | Search Forums | Return to UrS4/UrS6/S2/RS2