quattroworld.com Forums: I found a good deal on NorthStar AGM batteries.

quattroworld

UrS4/UrS6/S2/RS2
All messages | Search Forums | Return to UrS4/UrS6/S2/RS2
I found a good deal on NorthStar AGM batteries.
Posted by: onlycash (13924) on 2016-12-05 23:29:43

Share | Report
***DISCLOSURE: WARNING THIS IS A POST ABOUT THE USE OF A GROUP 48 BATTERY. EVERYONE HAS SEEN THE REPEATED POSTS ABOUT BATTERY HEIGHT. I'M HERE TO SAY THAT A GROUP 48 DOES FIT AND DOES NOT TOUCH THE UNDERSIDE OF THE REAR SEAT. PLEASE TRY TO READ MY COMPLETE POST BEFORE HARPING ON THE "GROUP 41 BATTERIES ONLY IN THESE CARS RESPONSE!!!***

With that out of the way.

I've wondered if a group 48 AGM would fit under my back seat and I can report that not only did it fit but the stock hold down worked fine also.

I found an eBay seller that has brand new NorthStar, AGM, group 48 batteries (eBay Auction).

I paid $114.02 delivered ($85.00 plus $29.02 shipping) for a NorthStar, NSB-AGM48, AGM battery.

The seller has them listed for $110.00 but you can make an offer, he took my $85.00 offer. He is a NorthStar dealer and from what I gather he has lots of them in stock, at one point I was told he has pallets of them.

This battery is 7.421" (188.5mm) tall to the top of the posts. I know people on here fear a battery taller than a group 41 but I wanted a better battery and you can't get an AGM in a group 41. This battery has 775 CCA which is far better than any group 41.

Now let me say that I went the extra mile to insulate the battery from the rear seat.

I went to Lowes and purchased a couple linear feet of 36" wide rubber mat (Lowes Item # 115764) that comes bulk on a roll. A piece 24"X36" was plenty to cover the underside of the seat, I used zip ties to attach it. I also make a second sheet out of the extra that I fastened to the rug, this just drapes over the battery itself.

With the post covers, which I did duck tape down, plus the two layers of rubber mat, I just can't see anyway the battery could short out.

I'm very please with the performance of the AGM, I only start my car a day or two a week on average and the AGM seems better suited for this.

I know some people will be quick to say "never use a battery taller than...!!!". It's your choice to use what ever battery you want.

I'm just here to report that with the far better performance of an AGM, and with the ready supply of group 48 AGM batteries, it makes this a choice some may want to consider.

The Bosch group 41 is 6.875" tall, the NorthStar group 48 AGM is 7.421", works out to 0.546" taller, or one half inch.

If you are thinking about this I encourage you to lift your seat and decide for yourself if you think a half inch is to much.

The batteries are available from Remy Battery, they are located in Wisconsin and Michigan, and they are NorthStar dealers.

eBay Auction

Thread:
post follow up

You must be registered and logged in to post. Please select an option:

Login with existing account
Create a new account

All messages | Search Forums | Return to UrS4/UrS6/S2/RS2