quattroworld.com Forums: John, the front LSD massively reduces on-power understeer!

quattroworld

TT Mk1
All messages | Search Forums | Return to TT Mk1
John, the front LSD massively reduces on-power understeer!
Posted by: madmax199 (6650) on 2017-09-26 20:45:13
In Reply to: I am anxious to hear how this performs.. posted by J. Patterson on 2017-09-13 10:25:08

Share | Report
Before, at the limit with the open front diff, you will plow out (from mid-corner to exit) if you are too deliberate with your throttle application. With the front LSD, if you mash the throttle the front end line tightens (tucks in with more throttle application). Without a doubt, the front LSD dials out the on-throttle understeer... the higher the power figure... the more evident it will be.

The rear LSD makes the car more RWD-like (I know since I did each separately and had time to single out what each does individually). With this one you are now capable to steer with the throttle and have the rear hang out with more throttle application. It was more apparent with only the rear LSD installed, but it's still noticeable with both LSD in.

So together the car really feels and behaves like a true AWD car. Load the car into a corner, if the line needs tightening, adds a bit more throttle --- if you need the car to rotate, add a lot more throttle and you easily go into power slides leading with the rear, but very controllable.

By far the best balance and behavior mod I've done. They totally change the way throttle can be applied and used to your advantage, and have added/unlocked tons of traction. I had two separate experienced drivers drive the car since the LSDs were added, both complained that it was too tail happy and easy to rotate and slide around. I personally like it, but I'll remove a bit of looseness in it, but this is staggering for a car that was a tight and pushy car for so many years. The LSDs have also allowed me to ditch the rear swaybar too, so no bar front and back for full independence. It's a different animal now! When you can put nearly 5 sec on a moded Audi R8 with a national SCCA trophy winner behind the wheels, you're onto something!!!
Thread:
post follow up

You must be registered and logged in to post. Please select an option:

Login with existing account
Create a new account

All messages | Search Forums | Return to TT Mk1